[Distutils] SETUPTOOLS - Loading Eggs which do not have an egg_info

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 7 21:09:31 CET 2006

At 09:45 PM 12/7/2006 +0200, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>I am a little overworked at this point, but this should be the right
>direction to enable setuptools to create distributions whilst using the
>information within setup.py (and without breaking any behaviour):

The only way I'll ever support this is if it's basically a way to
automatically run the egg_info command on demand (perhaps by checking
whether setup.py is newer than the .egg-info/PKG-INFO file).  There are
huge areas of functionality that will otherwise break -- and I'm not going
to spend thirty minutes trying to write down all the ones I can think of,
let alone the ones I can't think of right now.

I've already given you the workarounds for you to do it in your own system,
but remember that if anything breaks, it's broken.  The minute that any of
your plugins depend on *anything* else, or expect to use metadata generated
by egg_info, the game is over.  So it's never going to be a supported
feature of setuptools unless the egg_info command gets run.