[Distutils] HTTP authentication support

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 28 06:45:15 CET 2006

At 01:25 PM 12/28/2006 +0900, David Smith wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I needed support in easy_install for installing from HTTP
>digest and basic authenticated sites so I wrote the included
>patch. It currently supports specifying username and password
>information at the command line (however misguided that may be)
>and prompting the user interactively. It should also be easy to
>integrate with graphical interfaces. Please consider it for
>inclusion in the next release.

Thanks for the submission, but for a number of reasons, I don't think it
makes sense to put HTTP authentication directly into easy_install as a core
feature.

For version 0.7 and beyond, however, there will probably be some sort of
plugin mechanism to enable alternative file transport protocols, so you
should be able to plug this sort of thing in without patching easy_install
in that case.