[Distutils] HTTP authentication support

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Dec 29 14:41:10 CET 2006

On Dec 27, 2006, at 11:25 PM, David Smith wrote:

> I needed support in easy_install for installing from HTTP
> digest and basic authenticated sites so I wrote the included
> patch. It currently supports specifying username and password
> information at the command line (however misguided that may be)
> and prompting the user interactively. It should also be easy to
> integrate with graphical interfaces. Please consider it for
> inclusion in the next release.

I don't know if it is an option for you to use zc.buildout.  If it
is, then
zc.buildout has an extension that lets you use sftp:

   http://www.python.org/pypi/zc.buildoutsftp

This has the advantage that, if you use an SSH agent, you don't
have to enter credentials when you download a transaction.  And,
of course, it is more secure than digest or basic authentication.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org