[Distutils] pkg_resources and Mac OS X universal builds

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Feb 3 23:50:39 CET 2006

Modern Mac OS X applications need to support both the i386 and ppc
architectures in what's called a universal build (AKA fat in NeXT-
ese).  Ronald Oussoren and I are very far along in making python24-
maint capable of doing this with patches all over the build procedure
and a few smaller patches to distutils itself.  One such patch
basically expands upon the macosx platform string from pkg_resources,
with the additional clause that a fat build of Python (one configured
to build multi-architecture extensions) will report its architecture
as "fat" rather than "i386" or "ppc".

In order for setuptools' pkg_resources to inherit this behavior, I
need the attached patch to be accepted.  Basically it just skips over
the custom behavior if get_platform already returns a sanitized value.

-bob