[Distutils] Some negative press for easy_install

Christian Holtje docwhat+list.distutil at gerf.org
Fri Feb 10 16:26:30 CET 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:

>Setuptools and people using setuptools can only deal with actual issues,
>not with vague dislikes.  This is open source, issues get resolved, but
>there's never any guarantee that issues don't *exist*.

Hiya!  I really like setuptools and the eggs and stuff.  I want to help
you out by giving you a specific user case.  I don't fully understand
setuptools, so I apologize in advanced for any errors.

I am a system administrator for several systems.  I use a distro to
manage most of my software, but obviously some python modules don't come
with my distro (too new or the distro doesn't have it).

I usually solve this by doing the following as a non-root user:
|$ /usr/bin/python setup.py install
--prefix=/usr/local/stow/projectname-version
$ cd /usr/local/stow
$ stow -D projectname-oldversion # optional -- removes old version
$ stow projectname-version|

This allows me to keep the previous version around in case I need to
roll back.

Here is a (trunicated) tree listing from trac project:
/usr/local/stow/trac-svn-r2824
|-- bin
|-- lib
|   `-- python2.3
|       `-- site-packages
|           `-- trac
`-- share
    |-- man
    |   `-- man1
    `-- trac

Right now my workaround is to use bdist_egg and then copy the egg into
the directory
/usr/local/stow/project-version/lib/python2.4/site-packages (which I
have to mkdir first).  This isn't perfect because I don't get non-egg
stuff, if any exists.

I hope that this helps you. ^_^

Ciao!

--
Probable-Possible, my black hen,
She lays eggs in the Relative When.

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC