[Distutils] Windows; setup.py sdist --formats=gztar; permissions problem

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Feb 22 02:02:18 CET 2006

Hello there,

This is creating directories with permissions drw-rw-rw-.

A linux user reports that when using "tar xvfz archivename" the
top-level directory is created but all other contents are rejected with
messages like:
tar: <filename>: Cannot open: Permission denied
or
tar: <subdirectoryname>: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied

Suggestions are that the permissions should be drwxrwxrwx.

How do I achieve this? Do I need a better tar clone on my Windows box?

N.B. the user in question found he could extract from a zip archive OK,
so the answer isn't needed in a screaming hurry but if there's a quick
fix I can apply before my next release, that would be great.

Windows XP SP2; Python 2.4.2

dos-prompt>tar --version
bsdtar 1.02.019, libarchive 1.02.017
Copyright (C) 2003-2005 Tim Kientzle