[Distutils] setuptools and ordering...

Iwan Vosloo iv at lantic.net
Sat Feb 25 17:19:47 CET 2006

Hi,

I have a package which discovers plugins via
pkg_resources.iter_entry_points.

Is the order entry points are iterated through defined in any way?
Such as first eggs to be loaded first, or some such?  There seems to
be some kind of ordering, but I don't know if this is intended...

My scenario: I have eggs that depend on other eggs.  So what I really
would like to have is an ordering in the entry points iterator that
would guarantee that entry points in distributions that depend on
other distributions would be after the entry points from the
distributions they depend on.

(Since you already specify in setup.py what the dependencies are
between Distributions, it makes sense not to duplicate this
information in custom code. Such ordering of entry points would make
it unnecessary to keep more dependency information.)

Failing this, I can either depend on whatever order there is (but from
the code it looks like that's a coincidence).

Or, I'd have to write code that builds the dependency tree (of
Distributions) and then flatten it into a list that would make
sense. And THEN search for entry points in that order.  I don't
suppose something like this exists?

-i