[Distutils] setuptools 0.6a9 is released

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jan 4 20:23:37 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> If that's all you're looking for, it wouldn't be hard to make resolve()
> do it.  Of course, that doesn't tell you the full story if there are
> more layers of dependencies, but I think maybe a detailed dependency
> analysis tool should be part of the "nest" command suite in the
> setuptools 0.7 series.  Something like "nest analyze 'SomeProject>0.8'"
> to dump out all the dependencies and how they are currently being met
> and/or conflicting.

Since I'm requiring packages from places other than requires.txt (e.g.,
config files) the nest command seems like it would be limited in what it
could provide.  Not useless, but limited.  Runtime logging would be more
complete in those situations.  Or maybe just some way to indicate what
requirements a config file implies, or otherwise wrap that analysis.  If
I want to analyze a paste.deploy config file, it really comes down to
parsing out each section, and creating a list of requirements for each
section, and then displaying the analysis results of that list.  Then
I'm guessing there would be an entirely different command that would
analyze paste.deploy config files.

Any particular plans for nest?  We'd talked briefly about paster serving
as a basis (with some portions removed and put in paste.deploy, where
they probably already belong).  Mostly it's just command-line UI, but
the one more architectural issue is how plugins are picked up.  I'm
pretty happy with the .egg-info config file (paster_plugins.txt) that
lists requirements (frameworks, typically) of a package, and entry
points are brought in based on that.  Though, now that I think about it,
requires.txt might be perfectly usable for that (recursively bringing in
all requirements, or just the immediate requirements? -- I'm thinking
just immediate).  Anyway, this applies to a package in development; I
haven't really thought through how it applies to an installed package.
Commands could still be installed globally, but for many commands that's
not appropriate.