[Distutils] Dynamic linking on Linux, Mac OS, et al

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 06:00:09 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Hi folks.  I just implemented preliminary shared library build support for
> setuptools, but I ran into a bit of a snag.  I was operating under the
> assumption that you could simply put shared libraries in the directory
> alongside the extensions that use them, but in practice it turns out that
> this only works on Windows.  On Linux I found that you could only put
> shared libraries in a directory on LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and I suspect a similar
> issue will be found under OS X and other Unixes.

On OS X, the headers of the dylib can be rewritten to point to a specific path.
IIRC, this can be a relative path. Bob Ippolito's py2app does this kind of
rewriting for making relocatable .app bundles. I'm sure he'll chime in soon, so
I'm not entirely sure why I bothered replying myself.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter