[Distutils] making easy_install install extras

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Thu Jan 12 19:08:35 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 05:31 PM 1/11/2006 -0800, Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to convince easy_install to grab extras specified in the
>> "extras_require" arguments to setup()?  I know this probably isn't
>> something that should be on by default (that's why they're "extras"),
>> but it would be nice to do something like:
>>
>> easy_install some_package --also-install-all-available-extras
>>
>> If it's not currently possible, I'd like to submit this as a feature
>> request.
>

> The syntax that should currently work is:
>
>    easy_install "some_package[extra1,extra2]"

This is fine (if some extra typing) if you know what those extras are.
Is there any way to ask easy_install to display what extras some_package
can use?

Currently, I use easy_install to install some_package, keep typing
"some_package_script_requiring_extras" to see the repeated
DistributionNotFound errors and get them. It would be nice to
short-circuit this process from the beginning.

Cheers!
Andrew