[Distutils] Sourceforge changed HTML again...

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 18 01:53:41 CET 2006

At 07:54 PM 01/17/2006 +0100, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > Hi all.  Ian Bicking reported an issue with Sourceforge's download process
> > changing again; I've updated setuptools in SVN but haven't made a new
> > release yet.  If you need the fixed version, update to the development
> > version via "ez_setup.py setuptools==dev" for now.  Thanks.
>
>This is a probably a FAQ, but maybe the Sourceforge guys can be talked into
>providing some machine-friendly way for downloading files?

They have already done it, and I've changed setuptools to use it now (as of
r42088).  I've now removed all of the code originally contributed by Ian to
parse SourceForge's "human user" HTML and simply preprocess
prdownloads.sf.net URLs to a similar path on dl.sourceforge.net, which is a
round-robin DNS for the various mirrors.  This cuts two page fetches out of
the process and eliminates any HTML scraping dependencies.  As long as SF
doesn't get rid of the *.dl system, this should continue to work no matter
how much the HTML frontend changes.