[Distutils] making eggs and debs live together peacefully

Frédéric Gobry frederic.gobry at epfl.ch
Thu Jan 19 14:11:58 CET 2006

Hi,

I've started using setuptools as a developer quite recently, and
appreciate the extra features. I've a question though, regarding the way
dependencies are resolved when installing such a package: I've written a
package that uses elementtree, and would have found natural to add it in
install_requires. However, I've already installed it as a debian
package, and in the current state setuptools tries to reinstall over it.

So, should I add some extra logic to the setup.py script (ie, try the
dependencies myself) or is there a way to tell it "don't update the
dependence if you can already import the module" in a convenient way?

Frédéric

--
Frédéric Gobry    Infoscience
                  SISB / EPFL