[Distutils] making eggs and debs live together peacefully

Jeff Pitman jeff.pitman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:17:42 CET 2006

On 1/19/06, Frédéric Gobry <frederic.gobry at epfl.ch> wrote:
> > I'm certain Fedora will be heading in this direction.
>
> I'll try to see if there is something pending for debian
> (python-setuptools is part of testing, so...)
>
> [...dig dig dig...]
>
> Yuck, I hope to find something more positive than that:
>
>   <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-November/005470.html>
>
> :-(

I didn't read the whole thing, but, I'm presuming that it doesn't
preclude you from providing a patch that demos what you're looking
for. It's just that the authors are working towards the ideal rather
than putting patchwork in for every known packaging situation. And,
since setuptools may not even be in 2.5 and it's in a alpha state,
integration appears to be a non-goal. Other systems conforming *to*
setuptools will be exponentially easier than setuptools conforming to
others. Of course, the turn-around for debian changes can cause an
equilibrium to this difficulty equation...

--
-jeff