[Distutils] py2exe and setuptools w/ install_requires

Chris Lambacher chris at kateandchris.net
Fri Jan 20 00:25:54 CET 2006

Hi,

I have several apps that I distribute to customers using py2exe.  I have also
written modules which these apps share.  Up to now I have not had any
modules written in C so to build my py2exe apps I just set the PYTHONPATH
environment variable to point to the module's location in CVS and run setup.py
py2exe.  This is convenient because release builds are done via Buildbot on a
dedicated computer.  All buildbot has to do is check out the source and run
setup.py.

I now have my first C module and have been trying to work out how to deal with
building the module.  I would prefer to build the module and 'release' it for
use with my two apps.

What I would like to do is build up an egg for the library and copy it to a
known location.  Then have the apps use the setuptools require_install
directive to allow me to get the egg and 'install' it into the build directory
somewhere and then let the rest of the py2exe magic work.

I think I know where to add my call into setuptools from py2exe, but I cannot
figure out what setup_tools function to call in order to do the
'installation'.

Any help in executing my plan or in telling me I am a morron because there is
some easier way to do this would be much appreciated.

-Chris