[Distutils] namespace_packages

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 20 19:18:01 CET 2006

At 12:44 PM 01/20/2006 -0500, Charlie Moad wrote:
>Here are the eggs if you want to unzip and look at them.  I installed
>both unzipped.

There are two issues that I saw.  First, the matplotlib egg above does not
declare a namespace in its matplotlib/__init__.py.  Second, the basemap egg
does not contain a matplotlib/__init__.py at all.

Please note that you *must* include an __init__.py file for every namespace
package and parent package thereof, in *every* egg that's part of the
namespace package, and that these __init__.py files must all contain a
namespace declaration.  Missing even one can cause problems.  For example,
the basemap egg is simply not importable, because as far as Python is
concerned it does not contain a matplotlib package (due to the missing