[Distutils] Sourceforge changed HTML again...

Charlie Moad cwmoad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:27:38 CET 2006

On 1/18/06, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> > I checked what the NetBSD "pkgsrc" system does, and it uses the fact
> > that there is a .dl.sourceforge.net subdomain for mirrors.  I
> > investigated further and found that dl.sourceforge.net is a round-robin
> > (or random?) DNS for each of the mirrors in the subdomain, so there's a
> > simple transformation from the user-visible download pages to the actual
> > download address.  You can see this in the new fix_sf_url() function I
> > added to setuptools.package_index.
>
> I just got a Connection Refused error, but it worked on the second try.
>   As I remember, the port system typically has a set of links, and
> frequently fails over from one link to the next, so I expect that this
> error should be expected.  When it is encountered, setuptools should
> just try again until it works.  I have noticed in the past that SF
> mirrors go up and down quite frequently, probably too fast for DNS to
> keep up.

Does the pypi download url need to be updated to be compatible with
svn setuptools?  I am assuming no, but I am constantly getting 404's
from easy_install, yet I can paste the dl.sf.net link into a browser
and it works?!  These files have been on sf long enough to be
propgated around, and constantly ~= 20 attempts on the command line.
I am seeing this with matplotlib, btw.

Thanks,
     Charlie