[Distutils] setuptools include_package_data ignore data under a 'package'?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 25 02:32:46 CET 2006

At 05:08 PM 1/24/2006 -0800, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>On Jan 24, 2006, at 4:33 PM, bbangert at groovie.org wrote:
>
> >> The new one is missing the docs, public, templates directories
> >> which are
> >> package data directories containing content. If these aren't
> >> included on
> >> purpose, where can I get more information on exactly what
> >> include_package_data=True does actually include?
> >>
> >> BTW, I'm using setuptools 0.6a9
> >
> > Nevermind, I already see this was due to me not having checked in the
> > project to a version control system or registering all the files
> > manually
> > in MANIFEST.in.
> >
> > Any plans to support darcs?
>
>If you want darcs (hg, svk, perforce, ...) support, I'm sure it'd get
>added if you wrote a patch  :)
>
>Perhaps setuptools should support manifest generating hooks via an
>entry point?

Yeah, this is actually on my list, just haven't got 'round to it yet.  For
systems that include their control data in-band (as files/dirs in the
project area) it's pretty easy, but my impression was that most things
besides CVS and Subversion don't do this.  It would help if folks using the
other tools could give some idea of how you go about finding tracked files
using them, so I could get a better idea of how the extension API should work.