[Distutils] allowing $py_version in ~/.pydistutils.cfg

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Thu Jan 26 09:40:08 CET 2006

Hi,

Attempting to use variable subsitition in my ~/.pydistutils.cfg file
(which I'd like to use across both Python 2.3 and Python 2.4), I find that

[install]
prefix=~/py$py_version_short-$PLAT

works fine

while the $variables in

[easy_install]
site_dirs=~/py$py_version_short-$PLAT/lib/python$py_version_short/site-packages

don't get expanded.

These $variables seem to be an undocumented distutils feature (at least
they aren't in the online docs for distutils), but they're nevertheless
handy. Would it be possible to include them in setuptools? They are
implemented in distutils.util subst_vars().

Cheers!
Andrew