[Distutils] [Py2exe-users] Re: py2exe and setuptools w/ install_requires

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jan 26 22:23:44 CET 2006

At 02:58 PM 1/20/2006 -0500, Chris Lambacher wrote:
>When I build my module eggs, I publish them to a directory
>that an http server indexes.  I then I have a build script that calls
>'easy_install -m -Z -d tmpdir -f http://myserver/eggs module' for each module

Note that easy_install now supports using -f with a directory name, so you
don't need to have it do an HTTP fetch; just use the local directory path
instead of the http: URL.

>that I am interested in.  Then I add all the new directories in tmpdir to my
>python path and call setup.py py2exe.

FYI, if you configure the egg directory to be a "site" directory, you won't
need to add them to sys.path manually.  See:

     http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#administrator-installation

and replace all the '~/lib/python2.3' references with your desired
tmpdir.  Then, when you easy_install the eggs to the tmpdir, they will get
put on sys.path automatically.

>The advantage of this is that each time I  build I could potentially be using
>a different version of the module.  I don't have to worry about not getting
>updates to that libarary because I am building a point release of my app on
>some strange branch.
>
>I wanted to make this action triggered by install_requires in the py2exe
>command, I am instead doing this externally before the py2exe command.

That's going to have to wait until setuptools is more directly integrated
with py2exe.  At some point, it should be possible for py2exe to just
swallow all the needed eggs into the library zipfile, after automatically
updating.  But that's not going to happen for a while yet.