[Distutils] Sourceforge changed HTML again...

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 27 05:07:31 CET 2006

At 08:34 PM 1/26/2006 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
>So far my experiences downloading this way have been very poor -- it fails
>more often than not, often stalling indefinitely.  What are other people's
>experiences?  If my experience is typical, I think it would be better to
>long term, but it works much better for the moment.

What platform are you using, and what revision of easy_install?  The first
version of the dl.sf.net trick could end up using the same IP over and over
depending on local DNS cache settings.  Windows machines were particularly
prone to getting stuck with a bad IP.  The current version explicitly
requests *all* of the IPs, then selects from them at random.

>To deal with this for Paste, I even asked Tavis to put a Cheetah package
>on the Cheese Shop page, but since the SF link is longer easy_install
>prefers it :(

There's probably a different reason why.  All else being equal,
easy_install prefers *shorter* URLs for the same target version of a package.