[Distutils] static linking in distutils/setuptools?

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 27 05:10:26 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> While I don't agree with a lot of the design decisions in distutils,
> it's plenty extensible.  You can plug your own Extension in, just
> subclass it.

I disagree. An 'Extension' is

    "Just a collection of attributes that describes an extension
     module and everything needed to build it..."

(to cite the Extension's own doc string). There is no encapsulation
of behavior (i.e. how to build it), as that is handled in separate
command classes. And this is why I provided my own build_ext class,
which, however, didn't use anything from the 'Extension' type, since
that isn't adequate for my needs.

Regards,
		Stefan