[Distutils] using bdist_wininst --install-script

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 27 23:00:26 CET 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>> > Why not?
>>
>> because my python modules are part of a multi-language package
>> (to be more specific: a framework with multiple language bindings),
>> so a number of conventions are to be respected (such as
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/).
>

> """If an application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent
> data exclusively used by the application should be placed within that
> subdirectory. For example, the perl5 subdirectory for Perl 5 modules and
> libraries."""
>
> Sounds to me like there are only two ways to interpret this statement.
> One leads to the conclusion that Perl or Python modules must *not* live
> under /usr/lib (since they are *not* architecture-dependent), or that
> it's fine to place data files alongside modules.  Since the former
> conclusion is not the practice, I interpret this to mean that the latter
> applies.

Sorry, may be I didn't express myself very clearly; I'll try again.

I have a number of 'architecture-independent' files that are used by
different parts of the framework, such as python modules, C++ libraries
and applets, etc.
I can't see any good reason why my C++ code (which doesn't even know
that there are python modules as part of the same framework) should look
for its data in some obscure 'site-package' directory. :-)
The canonical way for such data files is still <prefix>/share.

Regards,
		Stefan