[Distutils] python version information in .egg-info directory name

Matthias Klose doko at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jul 4 08:42:05 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby writes:
> >what about installing the .egg-info directory without version
> >information when --single-version-externally-managed is used?
>
> Note that the .pyc files will be built for a specific Python version;
> that's why the version number is there.

yes, but this shouldn't be necessary if you install into a path which
is known to belong to a specific python version
(i.e. /usr/lib/python2.4/site-pacakges)

> Not including the version number
> won't magically make it work with other Python versions.

it will work, but the files will be re-compiled again.

> >Another unrelated thing: Debian is supposed to ship the source code
> >for binaries, but it's not included in the package for cli.exe and
> >gui.exe. Could you point me to the source code and/or include it in
> >the next release?
>
> It's included in the source release, along with all the documentation.  The
> file you're looking for is 'launcher.c'.  Of course, the .exe files aren't
> used on non-Windows platforms anyway.

at least with distutils I was able to build installers for Windows on
Linux. I didn't check if that works with setuptools as well.

  Matthias