[Distutils] distutils data_files and setuptools.pkg_resources are driving me crazy

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jul 14 07:33:55 CEST 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 1:56 AM, Robin Bryce wrote:

>> Shove the data in a foopackagedata package
>> which goes in a separate egg and throw a trivial __init__.py in
>> there.
>
> Yes, exactly. And I get the separate zip_safe as and added bonus.
>
>> What compelling argument?
>
> Ok, I should have said "I think there _may_ be a compelling argument.
> I'll have a go:
>
> In another thread, "best practices for creating eggs" Paul Moore said:
>
>> I work offline sufficiently often that not having local documentation
>> is frustrating. There's no standard for local docs, which is a
>> nuisance, and makes for an inconsistent story between different
>> packages, but I'd be concerned if setuptools made it more
>> difficult to
>> bundle local docs.

Documentation can be tweaked into the current setup, with some minor
changes to IDEs. Someone just has to come up with a cannonical way to
do documentation eggs, then IDEs can be changed to be use this.

BTW. I'm using IDE very loosely here, there could just as easy be a
script that updates a index.html that people have listed in their
browser bookmarks.

Stuff for tools outside of the python world would be harder, PyObjC
includes some templates for Xcode (Apple's IDE) and those must be
installed in a specific location.

Ronald