[Distutils] setuptools 0.6b4 released

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jul 17 16:17:18 CEST 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>
>> Last, but not least, the ability was added to turn off SVN revision
>> numbers
>> or dates from the command line, so that you don't have to edit
>> setup.cfg in
>> order to issue a release.
>
> Would've been convenient if you said what the option was... took me a
> few minutes to figure out where to look. Presumably you're referring
> to the --no-svn-revision option?

It seems that --no-svn-revision is only part of the solution to
making releases less of a hassle. The problem is that setup.cfg is
still included in sdist, so any user that builds your egg from source
is going to have it tagged with ".dev_r0". This is especially
problematic for dependencies because it may download the correct
version of source, but ".dev_r0" ranks lower so it will say the
dependency is not satisfied.

What's the best solution to this, barring deleting setup.cfg from the
release branch?

-bob