[Distutils] python version information in .egg-info directory name

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jul 21 21:36:47 CEST 2006

At 11:51 AM 7/21/2006 -0700, Andrew Straw wrote:
>I don't see what problem you're trying to solve by having the python
>version number in the .egg-info/ directory name. :) Is there any
>Python-version-specific info the in the .egg-info directory?

Yes.

>  How 'bout
>in the case when it is installed with
>--single-version-externally-managed command, which what we're talking
>about with Debian, anyway?

Yes.

>Anyhow, this is also creating an issue for me with stdeb because I'm
>trying to get the generated source packages as close as possible to
>Debian policy.

Unfortunately, Debian's policy -- especially the idea of mixing paths for
multiple Python versions -- doesn't mesh well with reality.  Python
projects don't always install the same files for a given Python version, or
the same content in the same files.  Setuptools is only a relatively minor
example of this; other Python projects do far more customization of the
install process (by Python version and dependencies) than setuptools does
of its own.  Bluntly, mixing Python versions on the same path for
*installed* packages (whether installed by the distutils or setuptools)
borders on insanity.

(More precisely, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing to do if one
wanted to create all sorts of problems for which one could then claim
credit for fixing as part of a "quality assurance" effort, constantly
patching upstream packages to work around the problems, thereby cementing
in one's own mind the importance of doing QA work to fix those upstream
authors' shoddy work that fails to live up to your distribution's "quality"
standards.  And yet somehow, nobody will ever seem to notice that it's the
policy *itself* that's causing the problems,  because of *course* those
upstream developers know *nothing* about quality assurance...  sigh.  But
that's a rant for another day.)

Anyway, in this case at least, the reason you're running into a problem is
because there's an inherent problem here, not because setuptools is doing
something it shouldn't be.