[Distutils] setuptools 0.6b2 released

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Jun 1 22:16:37 CEST 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> On 6/1/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> (By the way: setuptools 0.6 is probably not going in the 2.5 stdlib; after
>> lots of discussion on Python-Dev, it's fairly clear that some 0.7 release
>> should be the earliest version to go in, once the "nest" tools are
>> done.  Practically speaking, that probably means waiting until Python 2.6,
>> due to the lead time that would be needed to get adequate field testing of
>> the "nest" tools once they're written.)
>
> That's unfortunate, though I can certainly understand the rationale.
> Based on feedback I've seen on the TG list, ability to easily manage
> eggs is a fairly common desire.

Heh -- that may have been part of the rationale, but it wasn't the cause.
Several core Pythonistas objected in strong terms on python-dev to various
aspects of it.  Still, Guido clearly wants it, so seems pretty sure thing
for 2.6 still.

No doubt PJE made the decision to pull it for a combination of reasons,
though.

Best of luck with TG

John