[Distutils] Bug in setuptools-0.6a11-py2.4 ?

Uche Ogbuji uche at ogbuji.net
Wed Jun 7 20:35:32 CEST 2006

I'm trying to port 4Suite and Amara to setuptools.  I thought 4Suite
would be the hard part, but I have it basically functioning now.  No
such luck with Amara, though.

I can't get setuptools to handle the fact that Amara has all its code in
a subdir named lib, such that it used to work fine in plain distutils as
follows:

setup(package_dir = {'amara': 'lib'}, packages = ['amara'],...)

This same invocation with setuptools does not give an error message, but
 no packages are found or processed.

I also tried:

setup(package_dir = {'amara': 'lib'},
      packages = find_packages(),

setup(package_dir = {'amara': 'lib'},
      packages = find_packages('lib'),

setup(package_dir = {'amara': 'lib'},
      packages = find_packages(),
      packages = ['amara'],

and many other desperate attempts, with no luck.

It feels to me like a bug in setuptools with such a layout, but I'm
really surprised, because it's so common, and even covered explicitly by
the distutils and setuptools docs.

If anyone else wants to try you can do so as follows:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.4suite.org:/var/local/cvsroot login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.4suite.org:/var/local/cvsroot get 4Suite -r
EASYINSTALL-branch
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.4suite.org:/var/local/cvsroot get Amara

This CVS is also accessible via viewcvs:

http://cvs.4suite.org/viewcvs/

I'd appreciate any help.

One last thing: is there an issue tracker for setuptools?

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com