[Distutils] Weird PyPI Behavior

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jun 28 22:46:15 CEST 2006

If I do something like:

   python2.4 setup.py register bdist_egg upload

as recommended in the setuptools documentation, I end up  with 2
"releases" in PyPi.  One has all my descriptive information and the
other has the egg.  One or more will or won't be hidden according
some rule that I haven't been able to divine.  If the release with
the meta data (e.g. description, author, etc.) is not hidden, then
easy_install can't seem to find the eggs.  At least this is true
today.  I thought it wasn't true yesterday, but I don't trust my
recollection.  If I hide the release with the descriptive
information, then easy_install can find the eggs, but most of my meta
data isn't shown.  Has anyone else seen this behavior, or am I just
insane.

For now, I'm not uploading eggs to PyPI, which is a shame, because
setuptools sure made it convenient. :(

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org