[Distutils] Best practices for creating eggs?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:38:58 CEST 2006

On 6/29/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 04:13 PM 6/29/2006 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> >Agreed. But in the absence of a standard, supporting package authors'
> >existing approaches, which work with other distutils mechanisms, seems
> >like a reasonable requirement.
>
> Anything that the package author installs as package data, or using the
> data_files option to setup(), is included in the egg.  And if you install
> unzipped, you should be able to browse the included docs.

Hmm. I'll try building an egg from scratch, when I get access to a
machine with internet access without a painful proxy. It's too much
hassle right now to remember the magic incantations I need to make to
get setuptools installed through our firewall (more a firewall problem
than a setuptools one...) :-(

It may be that the problem I recall was with easy_install's process
for building an egg from a bdist_wininst, rather than with a proper
egg build.

Paul.