[Distutils] Working environment

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Mar 12 00:17:10 CET 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> Ian Bicking wrote:

>>> Why?  Top-level packages aren't portable, since .pyc files aren't
>>> portable.  Eggs are portable, since they contain the Python version.
>>

>> I have no idea what you are saying or how it relates to whether or not
>> packages go in lib/python2.4 or lib.
>

> lib/foo/__init__.pyc is a file that is specific to a version of Python.
>  lib/python2.4/foo/__init__.pyc removes any possibility of conflict.
> Though I suppose it is arguable that a working environment should only
> support one major version of Python.

Yup, at least most of the time.

>>> I'm not sure what to think of this.  I don't think of it as a script.
>>> It's like a specific invocation of the script.  A shell script.  Maybe
>>> we can improve on shell scripts, but I think it's a different idea
>>> than the script alone.
>>

>> What "it" are you talking about?
>

> This script+config invocation.

OK. Do you realize that for us, these are already combined?
That is, if you install Zope and make an instance, the scripts that
are installed have paths and configuration baked into them.
For us, these are just installed scripts.  There's nothing particularly
exciting going on here.  I want the same thing with the scripts generated
by easy_install (or something like it that we build, if necessary).

Jim