[Distutils] Working environment

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sun Mar 12 19:22:32 CET 2006

At 09:56 AM 3/12/2006 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>OK, we disagree. People encode this sort of information in scripts
>now,  Saying it is something else doesn't make it so.  If no one else
>is interested in this, we'll try to figure something out and share what
>we've learned.

FWIW, I'm probably going to generalize script writing to be entry-point
based.  Right now, the various entry point groups for scripts are
hard-coded, but I want to make it extensible.  That way, you'll be able to
effectively have custom install-time hooks, within certain restrictions
that I haven't yet figured out.  (Apart from obvious restrictions like not
being interactive, not writing stuff to arbitrary locations, etc.)

The complex thing about doing this is that when an egg's scripts are
written, its dependencies may not yet be installed.  (Especially in the
system package manager case.)  So, I may have to refactor the whole
installation process to queue scripts for installation only at the end of
installing all dependencies.

Not-so-coincidentally, a similar refactoring may be needed to implement
path freezing for scripts.  :)   (Because until the dependencies are
installed, you don't know what paths to freeze.)