[Distutils] easy_install ./mymodule.py

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 10:21:44 CET 2006

Ville Vainio wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>

>> If you do this:
>>
>>      easy_install "http://somesite.com/mymodule.py#egg=MyProject-0.1"
>>
>> EasyInstall will treat the .py file as being an egg named MyProject, with a
>> version number of 0.1.
>>

> Ok, thanks for the pointer. However, would it perhaps make sense to
> have the option of automatically generating the egg name from the
> module name (and using the name 'Mymodule", for example).

It looks like setuptools determines the  name of the file from the URL.

I use a Python CGI to serve my files for download. This means that
anyone attempting
:

    easy_install
"http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/voidspace/downman.py?file=configobj.py"

Gets an egg containing 'downman.py'. The CGI does send the correct http
header containing the filename :

Shouldn't setuptools honour the "Content-Disposition" header ?

All the best,

Michael Foord