[Distutils] Using namespace packages? READ THIS

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Sat Mar 18 02:31:31 CET 2006

[Phillip J. Eby wrote]
> I just checked in a fix for the issue with namespace packages in system
> package installation scenarios.  This fix unfortunately puts some
> significant limitations on what you can have in a namespace package
> __init__.py.
>
> Basically, *all* you should have in *every* namespace package __init__.py is:
>
>      __import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)

Pardon my ignorance here. I'd just like to make sure this doesn't affect
me if I move my stuff to setuptools. Is a "namespace package
__init__.py" file different than, say, the "__init__.py" used in my
personal (and mythical) "logging" alternative package:

    flogging/
        __init__.py    <---- this guy
        handlers.py

?