[Distutils] Using namespace packages? READ THIS

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Mar 18 03:46:36 CET 2006

At 05:31 PM 3/17/2006 -0800, Trent Mick wrote:
>Pardon my ignorance here. I'd just like to make sure this doesn't affect
>me if I move my stuff to setuptools. Is a "namespace package
>__init__.py" file different than, say, the "__init__.py" used in my
>personal (and mythical) "logging" alternative package:
>
>     flogging/
>         __init__.py    <---- this guy
>         handlers.py

Yes, it's different.  If you don't know what a namespace package is, you're
not using one and don't need to worry.  :)  Sorry for the false alarm.

(A namespace package is one whose contents are distributed as
separately-installed components, and it's something that's somewhat tricky
to do with the distutils by themselves.)