[Distutils] setuptools in fink

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 30 08:39:00 CEST 2006

At 10:33 PM 3/29/2006 -0500, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
>I think I have it figured out.  Fink requires installing a package in a
>temporary root install that is then turned into a deb.  This makes the pth
>files have bad paths.

And if you use --single-version-externally-managed as well as --root, then
it will not have bad paths.  Also, 0.6a11 uses relative paths, and in any
case defaults to using --single-version-externally-managed when you specify
--root.

>If I manage the paths in the pth files after the install, then things seem
>to work.  It looks like i will have to manage the easy_install.pth anyway
>since if it ends up in a deb, then other packages can't work with it.  I'm
>going to create PostInstall, PostRm commands to take care of that.

Don't go to all that trouble, it's not necessary.  Just use 0.6a11 with
"install --root" and you won't have to worry about any of this.  If you run
into any problems with it, let me know, as 0.6a11 is supposed to "Just
Work" for system packagers using --root.  If it doesn't, it's my fault, so
tell me and I'll fix it.  :)