[Distutils] -U --always-unzip won't replace zipped install

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue May 2 12:33:13 CEST 2006

Subject line nearly sums it up, I guess:  if I easy_install something and
get a zipped egg installed, then decide I wanted in unzipped:

easy_install -U -f --always-unzip "http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pyexcelerator/pyexcelerator-0.6.3a.zip?download" pyExcelerator
Best match: pyexcelerator 0.6.3a
Processing pyexcelerator-0.6.3a-py2.4.egg
pyexcelerator 0.6.3a is already the active version in easy-install.pth

Using c:\python24\lib\site-packages\pyexcelerator-0.6.3a-py2.4.egg
Processing dependencies for pyExcelerator

...I end up the zip still there, and no unzipped install.  Would be nice
if it were to replace it with an unzipped install.

Or is there some other way to ask for that?