[Distutils] Script-specific .pth files (or baking paths into scripts)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed May 17 19:00:16 CEST 2006

At 11:50 AM 5/17/2006 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

>I seem to remember a threat from from Phillip to make a proposal
>for installing script-specific ,pth files with scripts, but I don't
>think I every saw anything.

I haven't done it yet, mainly because I haven't decided how it should work,
exactly.  Mostly I'm concerned that it seems to need a bunch of options in
order to support all the use cases that have been requested.

For example, you've asked mainly that all the requirements be pre-baked,
and Ian has asked also that nothing "leak into" the current environment
that isn't  pre-baked.  (Which is also a reasonable requirement for
high-security scripts.)

It also seems like some of these options should be controllable by the
script author to some extent.  I just haven't come up with a good design
for what the options should be.  Mostly the issue is that the
script-writing code is already too complicated for my taste, and this is
going to make it worse, and I haven't had any brilliant ideas yet on how to
fix that.  :)