[Distutils] Installing via ez_setup.py reports error

Nathan R. Yergler nathan at yergler.net
Mon May 22 16:37:35 CEST 2006

I'm working on increasing my setuptools-foo-zen-karma-whatever, and have
a question.  According to the docs at
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#installation-instructions,
you just need to download ez_setup.py and run it to install setuptools.
 I'm trying to install to a custom location.  When I run the following
command:

$ PYTHONPATH=lib/ python ez_setup.py --script-dir bin/ --install-dir
lib/ -a --site-dirs lib/

setuptools is installed as requested, but the following error is reported

Installed /home/nathan/Projects/zope.i18n/lib/setuptools-0.6b1-py2.4.egg
Processing dependencies for setuptools==0.6b1
error: No urls, filenames, or requirements specified (see --help)

On a separate topic, echoing Jim's comments regarding paths, it seems
silly that when I use the following command (omitting the explicit
PYTHONPATH):

$ python ez_setup.py --script-dir bin/ --install-dir lib/ -a --site-dirs
lib/

I'm told that ./lib is not on sys.path; isn't the point of site-dirs to
assert that a directory *will be* on the Python path?  I'll be the first
to acknowledge that I may be missing some fundamental point here.

Thanks,

Nathan