[Distutils] setuptools auto-installing not working due to python.org proxy/redirect not working

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon May 22 21:14:36 CEST 2006

At 10:34 AM 5/22/2006 -0700, Ben Bangert wrote:
>I noticed this morning that python.org is no longer either proxying or
>redirecting under python.org/pypi/XXXXXX/ which means that setuptools
>breaks for installation:
>Searching for MyghtyUtils
>Reading http://www.python.org/pypi/MyghtyUtils/
>No local packages or download links found for MyghtyUtils

This should be reported to the Python webmaster, as it will also break the
distutils  "setup.py register" and "setup.py upload" commands, independent
of setuptools.

>Of course, we know that
>http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/MyghtyUtils
>
>works just fine. Is it possible to have setuptools have a list of URL's
>to try and fail-over to the next one in the event it can't find it at
>the first one? Ideally, setuptools should also be able to pull a list
>of servers mirroring the data for fail-over as well sort of like CPAN
>so that there's some redundancy in the system.

There's a command line option to set the index's base URL, but that
shouldn't be necessary in this case.  The python.org is broken, as this
redirection failure breaks the distutils for all currently distributed
versions of Python and it should therefore be fixed at once.