[Distutils] should I use distutils for a gnome-applet?

Nathan R. Yergler nathan at yergler.net
Mon Nov 13 13:58:52 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 10:08 +0000, Jorge Vargas wrote:

[snip]

> I though zc goal was to build zope apps, on the other hand how much of
> a footprint do you actually need for ac.buildout package? do you need
> to distribute the whole package bungle with the install?

Well I think that Zope Corp's goal for zc.buildout is to build Zope
application installations (although I don't speak for them of course),
but zc.buildout uses the idea of "recipes" for performing parts of an
buildout.  And these may or may not involve Zope.  For example, I'm
using it to deploy a CherryPy-based web app using the provided
zc.recipe.egg to install the application egg, its dependencies and
exported scripts.  Keep in mind that my goal may be a little different
than yours -- I want to be able to easily deploy on a server in a
self-contained directory without mucking with the system site-packages.

The deployment requirements are pretty lightweight -- there's a
buildout.cfg (that defines your buildout) and a bootstrap.py that you
run to get setuptools, zc.buildout, etc.  Read the primary docs for some
good stories -- http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout/1.0.0b12 .

So while I love zc.buildout, if you have a Makefile working, is there
something specific you're trying to improve by moving to
distutils/setuptools/zc.buildout/etc ?

Nathan