[Distutils] Why does build_ext accept -R but not build?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Nov 18 00:04:50 CET 2006

At 11:59 AM 11/17/2006 -0600, Albert Chin wrote:
>Why does "python setup.py build_ext" accept -R but "python setup.py
>build" does not? Isn't build a superset of build_ext?

No; build just provides defaults for the build_* commands and runs them.

Just do "python setup.py build_ext -Rwhatever build"; the build_ext command
will only get run once, and with the options you supply.  I think you can
also do it as "python setup.py build build_ext -Rwhatever", but the
commands will run in a slightly different order in that case.