[Distutils] SetupTools: The Case Of The Installed Egg

Alexander Michael lxander.m at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 21:46:22 CET 2006

On 11/19/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 12:41 PM 11/18/2006 -0500, Alexander Michael wrote:
> >It looks like SetupTools now attempts to lower case everything, but
> >doesn't in the case of an explicit install. Bug or feature?
>
> Neither; it's a meaningless quirk caused by the fact that easy_install
> doesn't case-normalize egg paths supplied via the command line.  (Virtually
> everything else it does is with paths that are "absolutized" and
> case-normalized.)  It doesn't cause any problems, if that's what you're
> wondering.

Yep. Just wondering if it will bite me later (in linux or cygwin). The
thing that concerned me most was that the case of entry inside the
easy-install.pth file (all lower) disagreed with what was on the file
system (mixed case as specified in setup.py). The different cases
resulting from installation method is also a hobgoblin of my little
mind, but if it causes no ill, then I can deal with the haunting.

Since there is uncertainty in case, is there an easy way with
pkg_resources to ask if a particular package is _installed in
easy-install.pth_ and meets a given version requirement. For example,
something like pkg_resources.isinstalled("MyPackage>=3.2")?

Thanks for all your help,
Alex