[Distutils] --skip-build misbehavior

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Nov 22 00:49:20 CET 2006

At 08:52 PM 11/21/2006 +0100, Philippe Normand wrote:
>Ah, ok. So I guess I now need to rename my "internal" package as the risk
>of name clash is too high in this case. I though that by keeping
>everything in the .egg I would be safe from potential collision.

No.  Packages are packages.  If you install two "foo" modules, they will
collide even if they're *inside* of eggs, because Python still only has one
internal namespace.  Egg separation is primarily to support easy
uninstallation, upgrades, and having multiple installed versions (used by
different programs).

>  But I was
>wrong :( Couldn't RPMs (or debs) ship directly the .egg/ directory?

In principle, yes.  In practice, the concept met with extreme resistance in
certain quarters, because it requires .pth files to ship with the .egg as well.

> >>Is this a bug or a feature? I reproduce it with 0.6c2 (on Fedora Core
> >> 6) and 0.6c3 (on Ubuntu Edgy) versions of setuptools.
> >
> > If there's a bug, it would be in the behavior you described for
> > "--skip-build", although I haven't investigated it yet.  Could you check
> >  and make sure you weren't just seeing an .egg-info directory, rather
> > than  an .egg?  Thanks.
>
>Well as stated above I double checked on another machine running 0.6c3 on
>Edgy.

Weird.  I am not able to reproduce it with 0.6c4dev-r52438 on Linux (Python
2.3, 2.4, or 2.5), nor with 0.7a1 on Windows (Python 2.4) or Cygwin (Python
2.3).  In fact, I just plain can't reproduce it.  You'll need to give me
some more information here.