[Distutils] Draft of new setuptools installation instructions

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 00:12:40 CEST 2006

On 10/3/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >IMHO, no. Your particular suggestions would annoy me immensely,
>
> Are you sure?  Two points here, that I think you're not noticing:
>
> 1. Registering an "App Paths" entry for easy_install would simply make it
> *possible* to type "easy_install" in the Start/Run box and have it
> work.  It wouldn't force you to use it, and seems quite unlikely to
> conflict with anything else.  (It could also be made optional, as per point
> #2.)

I had not understood that you meant to use "App Paths". That's
reasonable (it's what Python does, for example). I also misread your
statement as implying you would add a shortcut.

Also, the automatic pause would annoy me. How would you make it *not*
happen if I ran the command from a console window I already had open?

> 2. I said *optional* registration of the ``.egg`` extension; the idea would
> be that you'd have a dialog come up at the end of the .win32.exe run, to
> ask you if you wanted to add it.

I noticed that, but assumed you'd want to make the default "yes". I
dislike options that I *always* want to switch off.

But I retract the "immensely" bit. Overreaction there, sorry :-)

> Well, keep in mind that such a thing would only work for *one* level of
> dependencies; if your dependencies have dependencies you'll go through that
> repeatedly.

Clearly. That seems implicit (and hence, not a problem) to me in the
fact that you aren't getting the dependencies, so how could you scan
them for further dependencies.

Again, it fits my "keep it simple" attitude.

Paul.