[Distutils] cross compiling using setuptools

Venkat Bommakanti venkatbo at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 01:23:06 CEST 2006

>>Based on this suggestion, for the cross compile case, I tried to set:
>>   [bdist_egg]
>>   plat_name = ppc
>>but, it still insists on falling back to i686 for plat_name. Could be I'm
>>doing something fundamentally wrong.

>Dunno.  Is this in $HOME/.pydistutils.cfg?

For the cross compile case (i686 build box -> ppc target), rather than
the setup.py/setup.cfg option in the TurboGears src/pkg dir, I thought
I'll try the basic method of using $HOME/.pydistutils.cfg first. So I
created one ($HOME/.pydistutils.cfg) with the following contents:
  [build]
  compiler=powerpc-unknown-linux-gcc
  [bdist_egg]
  pla_name=ppc

When I run:
    easy_install --prefix=usr -s usr/bin -f . TG.egg
I get an error msg:
    error: Setup script exited with error: don't know how to compile C/C++
             code on platform 'posix' with 'powerpc-unknown-linux-gcc' compiler
I have 'powerpc-unknown-linux-gcc' in my path. Could it be that its not
picking up some include dirs etc.

I also tried the same with i686 build box -> i686 target, pointing to my
i686 gcc 'i686-pc-linux-gcc'...
  [build]

  compiler=i686-pc-linux-gcc
  [bdist_egg]

  pla_name=i686
I get the same error...
    error: Setup script exited with error: don't know how to compile C/C++

             code on platform 'posix' with 'i686-pc-linux-gcc' compiler

Any idea what may be wrong here...

Thanks much,
/venkat