[Distutils] setting the right owner of local subdirectories

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 25 14:05:36 CEST 2006

Antoine Pitrou <antoine.pitrou at wengo.fr> writes:

> But an annoying side-effect is that, when you first run "sudo python
> setup.py develop" (or "install"), it also creates directories in the
> local directory under the root user.

You can configure sudo to set HOME to the home directory of the target
user. To do this every time the target is 'root', edit sudoers and add
this line:

    Defaults>root   always_set_home

Read the sudoers(5) man page for more.

--
 \       "If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it |
  `\               works, we've already failed."  -- Peter Lee, Disney |