[Distutils] How to get list of package requirements from PyPI without downloading egg?

Jeremy Kloth jeremy.kloth at 4suite.org
Thu Oct 26 08:05:37 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 11:51 pm, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 12:39 AM 10/26/2006 -0400, Tim Cera wrote:
> >If the above idea doesn't go anywhere - is it possible that the package
> >requirements could be added to CheeseShop's XMLRPC?
>
> Requirements can be Python version and platform-specific, so I'm afraid
> this can't be reasonably captured in a Cheeseshop entry at the present
> time.

Except Cheeseshop already supports the PEP 314 metadeta fields Requires,
Provides and Obsoletes.  They are available to all packages built with Python
2.5 distutils.

That said, the community still needs to agree on what the names of the
requirements are.  The Cheeseshop restrictions match package names and that
is what 4Suite's PackageManager uses for its lookup routines.  It solves the
Python version problem by defining the PEP 345 metadata field
Requires-Python.

--
Jeremy Kloth
http://4suite.org/