[Distutils] [setuptools] best way to create offline install bundles?

Kevin Dangoor dangoor at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 15:14:45 CEST 2006

I've had quite a few complaints over the months from people who are
stuck behind firewalls and can't install TurboGears with easy_install
for whatever reason. This problem is somewhat compounded in cases
where the user may have a machine that has internet access, but isn't
the same platform as their deployment machine so they wouldn't even
get the right eggs to deploy with easy_install.

What I ultimately want to end up with is a tarball that contains all
of the platform independent stuff, and then three tarballs for the
platform dependent stuff (win, mac, source).

I know about easy_install -zmaxd, and that certainly helps... but

1) it doesn't keep all of the eggs zipped up (because it sitll thinks
it's doing an install, instead of just a download)

2) it doesn't help with the three platform dependent parts

Is this something zc.buildout can help with? I'm not certain what the
best way is to automate this process...

Thanks,
Kevin

--