[Distutils] [setuptools] best way to create offline install bundles?

Kevin Dangoor dangoor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 03:45:32 CEST 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 12:34 PM, primco wrote:

> Setuptools would have to packaged up with TG or Pylons. All
> programs need to
> be self contained and can only depend on the standard library in
> the system
> wide install. No 'automatic download' would be allowed either.
> Basically,
> the whole thing needs to be copied and run. This is a basic feature of
> Python scripts. It's unfortunate that things have become so complex
> that
> this is no longer possible.

Actually, this isn't an accurate depiction of the situation. Pre-
setuptools, the *only* way to build up a package like TurboGears
would have been to take all of the dependencies and dump them into a
thirdparty directory, put some massive setup script around it and
produce a single, giant tarball. Work would have had to be done to
put all of that together. setuptools provides us with a number of
great capabilities, and we just need to build up the tool support to
make that giant tarball-style of distribution (for offline installs)
as easy as the current online installation is.

Kevin